This guide will help you complete the Slaughterhouse map on Nightmare in the Singleplayer mode.
I didn’t come up with this strategy myself. I looked it up on Youtube. The purpose of this guide is to present the strategy in a clear and structured way so that you don’t have to guess or second guess about any of the steps. I’ve included my playthrough to back up the points.
I. General Tips
1. If you have troubles seeing in the dark. Go to Windows Search and type ‘Calibrate display color,’ then click ‘Next’ 3 times and raise the bar to the very top.
2. If you don’t know this already, you only get 2 batteries on the map (you can charge your flashlight and another battery will spawn which makes it 3 in hands) – [same as for the previous maps]. Therefore, you need to memorize battery spawn locations, so that you don’t spend too much time looking for them. In this map, batteries are essential since you need to burn crawling guys (corpses) for bones. I recommend you check out Josserhamon’s guide for all possible battery spawns.
- One battery is enough to burn one corpse (or one boar) and stun Nathan.
- Don’t recharge the battery if you still have some charges left. First spend the remaining charge then quickly reload:
3. Pay attention to audio cues (pigs, boars, corpses, heartbeat), especially for crawling guys (corpses).
- Corpses – You can hear them through the walls and the ceiling. On the video you can actually see me stop and stare at the ceiling to hear if there’s anyone there. It will also save you a great deal of time, since you wouldn’t have to check every vent.
- Boars have a special charging attack. You can hear when they are about to charge, change the vector of your movement. If they charge into you, all it takes is two more hits to kill you.
- Heartbeat – for someone who doesn’t know yet. If you hear heartbeat, it means that Nathan is set directly at you. Prepare to stun him with your flashlight. If he’s in the active state and you carry a ritual item (pig in this case) he is set directly at you as well.
4. Corpses spawn only in vents. If you see them crawling outside, it means that they spawned a while ago and decided to go for a crawl, he-he.
5. Don’t waste your batteries on boars, if only to save your life. There are plenty of elevated places around the map where they can’t get you. Railings on the second floor is one of them.
If you encounter them in vents, kill them immediately. You can’t outrun them in the vents.
6. As the legend goes, if you keep your flashlight off, the spook might miss you. Just keep that in mind. Hiding helps! If he doesn’t have you in his line of sight, he might not notice you for a while but only for a while. After some time in hiding, you will hear a heartbeat, which means he’s going straight for you.
1. For this strategy, perk ‘Fast Worker’ is the best choice (mostly during the last stage).
2. There’s a way to prepare the ritual without having boars in your way. They only spawn if you trigger them (or start burning pigs). There’s a passage which you shouldn’t cross if you don’t want boars on the map just yet:
Take an alternative route instead, from the main entrance:
3. For this strategy we will be storing all pigs (8 in total, 1 on the hook, 1 in hands) in the kitchen room.
You can lure them to the kitchen or use a bone, which in some cases might be a little longer. At this stage it’s not critical if Nathan turns since you will have plenty of time to stun him for the next 30 min.
If you don’t want pigs to escape from the kitchen when you enter, first check where they are through the window and then check the other door. Usually, at least one entrance is safe.
(The pig is too close to the door. When you open the door, it will get spooked and might run out of the kitchen)
4. For this strategy, put bones in places exactly as in the pictures. This is the most optimal placement for the end-game.
5. Put one battery in a strategic place. It will play a role of a failsafe. I put it here, since I often use railings as a safe spot against boars:
I recommend you keep 1 battery in your hand when Nathan turns (while the other one is in the strategic spot). This way you minimize the risk of running out of charges when fighting him.
6. After you open the cage (the one with 5 pigs), some pigs will spawn in the kitchen where you keep the rest, so count them once again.
7. Regularly check kitchen doors. Sometimes, Nathan might wander there and pigs will get out. If you notice it promptly, you can prevent pigs from leaving the kitchen. ⠀
For the same reason, you need to keep closed all of the fridge doors (especially the ones that lead to the grinder room because pigs might eat those 2 bones prematurely).
8. At the end of this stage you need to have 8 pigs in the kitchen, 1 on the hook, 1 in your hands, 3 bones (after you pick up the 10th pig, look around the map for the corpse), 2 batteries and a charged flashlight.
III. Dunking pigs – 2
1. Start dunking pigs.
If you want, you can try to master the railing jump. Saves a split second during pig dunking.
2. After dunking 2 pigs, you need to pacify Nathan. At this stage it shouldn’t be so difficult, since there will only be 1-2 boars and he is still slow.
3. The boars will start to spawn. Close the doors behind you, so that they don’t catch you off guard.
After boars spawn, I strongly recommend not going into the vents without a charge. Boars tend to hide there. If they catch you in the vents without a charge, it’s certain death.
4. Refuel the grinder for the next stage.
5. Stock up on batteries, put one pig on the hook, grab one in hand and find the third bone.
IV. Dunking pigs – 4
1. Dunk another 2 pigs (4 in total).
2. Refuel the grinder.
3. Now you need to stun Nathan 2 times in order to pacify him (same as for the previous maps).
This is not the most difficult stage but I found out that the safest spot to stun him is the railings (main hall, second floor, see the gif) and for a number of reasons. First of all, you can just jump down, decreasing the distance from Nathan and boars substantially and prepare for the second stun. I use a barrel downstairs as the second safe spot from boars.
Secondly, being in the main hall will help you pacify him before he goes into the kitchen and lets pigs out.
You need to perfect your sense of the surroundings so that you don’t get cornered by boars or Nathan. It’s better to turn back and try a different route than charging forward and dying.
4. The spawn rate of boards is increased (and will increase with every consecutive pig burned – same as for the previous maps). Be really careful when going into the vents.
5. After Nathan’s pacified, stock up on batteries.
6. Get the bone and put another pig (5th) on the hook.
Depending on your timing, you might have to repeat the pacify process at this point.
7. After he’s pacified, stock up on batteries once again, get the bone, pick up a pig, find another bone, proceed to the next stage.
V. Dunking pigs – 6
1. Dunk two more pigs (6 in total).
2. Refuel the grinder.
3. Pacify Nathan the same way as previously but be careful. There’re more boars and he’s much faster.
4. Stock up on batteries, get a bone and put a pig on the hook.
5. Approximately at this time, he will turn again. Pacify him.
6. Stock up on batteries again.
7. Find a bone and put it in this place:
8. He will turn again. Pacify.
9. After this step you need to have at least one more charge. If you have it, proceed to the last stage.
In my case, I had to do 3 iterations, since it took me some time to find the items.
VI. Last stage
1. The main point of the strategy is to make all the pigs get triggered on the bone near the grinder. The trick is in that you mustn’t get too close to them. If you get too close, they will run too far away or even behind you.
Open the door to the kitchen (left one if coming from the grinder). Get close enough so that they move away a little. After they’ve gathered at the door, proceed to scare them slowly towards the grinder door (which is open, obviously). If you hit it just right, they will trigger on the bone at the same time. This is a step that can be easily messed up. They move at random sometimes, so keep trying. If they scatter around, don’t push them towards the grinder until you can gather all of them together again (check out the video).
2. If you managed to get the pigs triggered on the bone, it’s halfway done. Start dunking pigs. Here’s the most optimal pattern so far:
⠀⠀⠀⠀1) Once the pigs are triggered on the bone, dunk the pig on the hook
⠀⠀⠀⠀2) Pick up the 8th pig and put on the hook
⠀⠀⠀⠀5) Pick up the 9th pig and put on the hook
⠀⠀⠀⠀7) Pick up the 10th pig
⠀⠀⠀⠀8) Dunk the 9th pig
⠀⠀⠀⠀9) Put the pig on the hook
3. If Nathan comes to the grinder room stun him once with the remaining charge, turn off your flashlight and either hide behind the grinder (he might just run past you, providing you don’t carry a pig) or, as it was in my case, dunk the last pig.
That’s it 🙂
It took me 18 tries of trial and error until I finally got it.
The completion of this map heavily relies on RNG. Firstly, it’s the item spawn. Secondly, pigs’ behavior. Thirdly, Nathan’s behavior. And also boars in some instances. If Nathan comes to the grinder room early during the last stage, the whole run might be ruined.
The final moment in my video is a perfect demonstration of how RNG affects the game. By all means, I should’ve lost XD I was extremely surprised when he ran away after the stun, so don’t give up. Sometimes RNGesus is on your side.
Thanks to ElarionStone for his excellent guide, all credits belong to his effort. if this guide helps you, please support and rate it via Steam Community. enjoy the game.
- DEVOUR: All Slaughterhouse Battery Spawns Map
- Devour Asylum Map (All Floors Label)
- DEVOUR: The Town Map Guide
- DEVOUR: The Town Map (Basic MS Paint Version)
- DEVOUR: All Collectibles Guide (The Inn Map)